Pharmaceutical Inspection and Monitoring
• The Pharmaceutical Inspection Committee (PIC) of the department is mandated to ensure compliance with standards and regulations of Pharmacists Council of Nigeria (PCN) in Pharmacy premises (both public and private) in the state.
• Patent and Proprietary Medicine vendor License Committee monitors, controls and training in collaborations with PCN for the patent Medicine vendors in the state.
Task Force on counterfeit and fake Drugs and Unwholesome substances
• In view of the danger posed to the public by counterfeit and fake Drugs, a task force established by Decree 25 of 1999 in collaboration with NAFDAC police and Ministry of Justice ensures that on counterfeit and fake Drugs are eradicated in our society.
• The department also in collaboration with relevant agencies is involved in the campaign against drug abuse and misuse.
• This campaign includes Radio and T. V. Jingles, distribution of handbills, seminars for prison inmates and secondary school students, Drivers, market women and people from all works of life against drug abuse and misuse.
Herbal Research and Development
• In view of the fact that out herbal remedies need to be developed like the Chinese and Germans, a committee was inaugurated and has its secretariat in the department to research and develop hers and medicinal plants for inclusion in the Health care delivery system of the state.
Drug purchase and Distribution
• The department in conjunction with Department of Finance and Administration procures drugs and distributes same through Central Medical Store to various public health Institution in the state. The free Health programme covers pregnant women, children U-5, 6-18 years and above 70 years of age.
• Annual registration and processing of licenses: The department also processes forms for registration and licences of Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians, Pharmacy premises and Patent Medicine Stores. The licences are issued by the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria (PCN).