He had his mandatory one year internship training at the State Specialist Hospital Ado-Ekiti in Old Ondo State from 1983 to 1984. Thereafter, he proceeded to serve the nation for one year in the NYSC scheme as Medical Officer of Health in Orlu Local Government Area in Imo State from 1984 to 1985.
He also worked as medical officer in Bene’s Clinic, a private hospital in Port Harcourt, Rivers State from 1985 to 1987.
Dr. Oni joined the service of the then Ondo State again in 1987 and served as Medical Officer in charge of Comprehensive Health Centre, Aramoko-Ekiti in 1987; Medical Officer, State Specialist Hospital Ado-Ekiti September 1987 to 1993; and State Specialist Hospital Akure, 1993 to 2002.
Positions Held In The Ministry of Health
- Principal, Ondo State School of Health Technology, Akure October 2002 – August 2003;
- Deputy Director, Primary Health Care and Disease Control, Ondo State Ministry of Health, October 2003 to July 2005;
- Director and HOD, Department of Hospital Services, 2005 to 2010;
- Director and HOD, Department, Primary Health Care & Disease Control August 2010 – December 2011;
- Acting Permanent Secretary, December 2011 to 30th March 2012;
- Permanent Secretary 1st April 2012.
Courses/Trainings Attended with Certificates
- Performance Based Financing (PBF) by SINA Health International at Mombasa Kenya. (October 2011)
- Managing Change and Innovation at U.I. November/December 2009
- 2nd International Ultrasound Seminar in Abuja, Nigeria by Afro-Asia Institute of Medical Sciences (October 2007)
- Mobilizing Human & Material Resources for MDGs by U.I. Continuing Education Unit, University of Ibadan (2005)
- United States Medical Licensing Exam Steps 1 & 2 (1994)
- Training Program in Minilaparotomy under Local Anaesthesia (1991)
- Clinical and Ethical Update Courses by NMA, MDCN, NPHCDA
- Mid-level Management Training (MLM) for Primary Health Care in Nigeria by National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA)
He is married to Mrs Helen Oluwatosin Oni who hails from Ido-Ani, in Ose LGA , Ondo State. They are blessed with two children.